Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Weekly Film Symposium #2: Second Response.

Dude, I never even saw your response get posted. So sorry it took me so long to respond again. I hate it when that happens. Anyway...

I agree with you that I feel like the relationship between Eli and Oskar is completely genuine and sincere. I believe that it started out as manipulation by Eli but very quickly turned into something else. She said that the first thing she heard him say was "squeal like a pig," or something to that effect, and she had been observing him. I believe that she knew that he was perfect to be her next care taker. I believe in the context of the film, that was her intention but she quickly and genuinely fell in love with Oskar. I love their relationship, even though it is pretty messed up. However, I don't see it ending well for Oskar.

Jesse and I were talking about this movie and she mentioned that Oskar was just going to fall into the same role that her current care taker was in, and that broke my little heart a tiny bit. I don't know why I didn't think of their future at all, except for the fact that they were going to be happy together. Now, I truthfully believe that Oskar is just going to end up like the guy she has now. He will take care of her and kill for her and move her around, but he will grow up, and she won't. At some point he is goint to be a middle aged man and she will still be twelve. Does this turn their relationship from one of requited love to a father and daughter relationship? Then she is going to have to eventually find a new care taker, and that just sucks for everybody. Oskar will fade away and Eli will continue on. I guess she could make him a vampire as well, but we don't want Oskar to burst into flames like the other lady (how awesome was that?!) I am also very glad that he didn't go for the cheap thrills like american "horror" movies do. I truly can't say enough about the director and the choices he made. Not like he needs me to tell him that he did a great job but he really did. I am glad we watched this and both loved it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment