Monday, February 23, 2009

Post-Ceremony Oscar Thoughts

The biggest snub of the night was Mickey Rourke not winning Best Actor.  My fear of the Academy overlooking Rourke for Sean Penn's political performance was justified.  With each passing day, I am more and more amazed with Rourke's performance, and I really, really want to see The Wrestler again.  Rourke speaks some of the greatest, most heartfelt lines in a conversation with his daughter, and I am not satisfied having seen the scene only once.

Also, I guess I should have stuck with Slumdog for more categories.  I'm pretty sure most Academy members don't really know the difference between sound editing and sound mixing, and it seems kind of foolish to have two technical sound categories that people can't differentiate.  Also, I don't get why Penelope Cruz won for Vicky Cristina Barcelona.  I watched the movie and can't tell you why her performance was so special.  I think all the other nominees were more deserving.  Amy Adams will win something eventually.  Who knows about Marisa Tomei.  Hopefully the exposure generated by her nomination will help her land some more excellent roles in the near future.

I know you were upset with Kate Winslet winning Best Actress, Justin, and I can sympathize with you on it, though perhaps for different reasons.  First off, I'm not even sure why she was nominated in the Best Actress category for The Reader, especially considering the fact that she was nominated for the Best Supporting Actress Golden Globe (which she won, along with Best Actress for Revolutionary Road).  I don't feel like hers was a leading role, but oh well.  Even if it was a leading role, it wasn't the best performance of those nominated.  I really liked Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married.  I hate that the Academy tends to overlook amazing performances by young actors because they figure they'll eventually win sometime in the future.  This is why Kate Winslet won this year; she'd been nominated so many times in the past that she was due, according to unwritten Academy standards.  Hathaway, Angelina Jolie, and Sally Hawkins (completely snubbed) all gave stronger performances than Winslet.  Mind you, I am a big Kate Winslet fan.  Her performance as Clementine in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of my favorite female performances ever.

Question:  will next year's Best Supporting Actor winner be another frightening depiction of evil?  Last year it was Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men, and this year it was Heath Ledger as the Joker.  Both actors completely deserved their awards.  I just find it interesting that their roles were, though quite unique, similar in many regards.

I look forward to seeing what films will be up for consideration next year.  I am hoping for The Road, and I really think Viggo can pull in a Best Actor nomination and win, if the film turns out the way I hope.

We're deep in the abyss of the winter void of good films, though Watchmen is coming soon, and I am very excited for it.  Justin, I recommend that you grab the graphic novel (or just read it in chapters at a local bookstore) because it is sweet.  I'm amazed every time I see footage of the film.  Can you think of any other good films coming out soon?  I need something to look forward to, though I am excited to re-watch some of my all-time favorites.  Maybe I'll even get some more reading done.  

Lemon out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment